Urologic Care and Post-operative Services in the Montreal Region and the South Shore
Post-circumcision Recommendations for Adults
At Dr. Carlos Marois Private Urologist’s clinic, we always follow up on the health of our patients during their recovery.
Here is what we recommend to help our patients heal well after circumcision.
- Take Tylenol (650-1000) for the pain every 4 hours. You can also take Dilaudid according to prescription if you are still in pain.
- Change the Kling bandage (rolled bandage) with Polysporin© ointment (not cream) once per day for seven (7) days after showering and as needed during the second week. If the Kling bandage falls off on its own after the procedure, there is no need to worry; simply replace it. If the bandage is too tight and keeps you from urinating, you will have to undo it and then redo it less tightly.
- It is highly recommended to continue to put a rolled bandage at night during the 2nd and 3rd weeks to avoid traction on the wound by nocturnal penile tumescence.
- Avoid physical activity for one week.
- Avoid sexual activity for one (1) month.
- Take 10 minute baths starting in the 2nd week in order to help dissolve the absorbable sutures.
- If surgical glue was applied to close the wound, the glue crust will fall on its own after about 10 days. It often falls completely without any consequences. Showers must be short to avoid excess moisture. Baths are only allowed when there is no more glue crust.
- An appointment will be scheduled two (2) months after surgery.
Contact us for any additional information.